Friday, January 20, 2012

GOOD EATS

I originally started this blog as a visual food diary so that I could more closely examine what I was eating, and how it was making me feel.  It then sort of turned into a food diary/journal to document my everyday living.  It's nice to go back sometimes and look at the pictures, not just from big events (birthdays, engagements), but from the day-2-day stuff too.

It's funny how my eating has changed.  I used to be calorie OBSESSED, but now I'm healthy foods obsessed.  Don't get me wrong...I'm still all about burritos (I live in Southern California for goodness sake!), but I'm very focused on MODERATION!!!

BREAKFAST:
2 EGG WHITES & 1 YOLK + 1 PIECE EZEKIEL CINNAMON RAISIN BREAD + 2 MORNING STAR SAUSAGE PATTIES

 Love this Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin bread!  It satisfies my urge for a little something sweet for breakfast, without turning into frosted doughnuts! 
I also used to new juicer to whip up a batch of juice.  All of that produce made around 32 oz. of fruity-veggie goodness.  Boyfriend's juices consist of primarily vegetables, but I HAVE to throw in some fruit for a little sugar.  Helps so much with the taste.  My juices actually taste yummy whereas Boyfriends are ick!
SPINACH + BEET + PINEAPPLE + ORANGE + APPLE + CARROT + GINGER

LUNCH:
One of my FAVORITE things to make and eat lately is what I call a "Mexican Lasagna".  It's basically whatever I can scrounge up, layered between corn tortillas, and then melted to perfection in the oven.

GREEK YOGURT + CORN TORTILLAS + DAIRY FREE "CHEESE" + BLACK OLIVES + DICES TOMATOES & GREEN CHILIS + ENCHILADA SAUCE + GREEN CHILI + FF REFRIED BEANS 

Simply put, I start with a layer of corn tortillas on the bottom of a casserole dish, followed by beans, tomato mixture, yogurt, cheese olives, peppers, and then repeat.  My final layer is just the corn tortillas topped with a layer of cheese.  Then, I pour the enchilada sauce over the "lasagna".  I bake it in the oven covered at 425 degrees for 30 min, and then uncover the dish for another 15 min. at 425 degrees on broil. This helps to melt the "cheese".  This is especially important if you use fake cheese, because it really needs some extra efforts to melt.


I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE making this!!  It's easy, and it makes enough for around 6 meals for me!!!  I end up eating this for lunch, breakfast, and dinner every day.  When I get a chance, I'm going to sit down and figure out the stats on this meal.  My instincts tell me that it's a winner because everything in it individually gets an A+ except for the cheese.  But I use the nicest cheese possible and the yogurt and beans, this thing had to be packing some serious Protein and Fiber heat!!

DINNER:

I was out running errands around dinner time, so I went with the lazy girl's choice of a sandwich from Starbucks.  The stats weren't my favorite but I was famished and could have done a lot worse.  Starbucks has some amazing "snack plates" with things like apples, eggs, peanut butter, etc.  I usually go for one of this picks but I was CRAVING bread and meat!

TARRAGON CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICH + TALL PIKE'S PLACE WITH SPLASH SOY MILK

My night MIGHT have ended with a few chocolate doughnut holes that Boyfriend bought for his midnight munchies!  Luckily for me, he can usually finish a whole box in one sitting so they aren't sitting around on the counter all day tempting me with their chocolatey goodness!

XOXO