Thursday, April 29, 2010

And here I go...



FIRST BLOG EVA!!!  I really hope that by carefully tracking what I am putting into my body and how I feel, I can get more attuned to the various effects that different foods have on my body.
I usually plan what I am going to eat the night before so I can get a general idea of what I need to prepare for the next day.  However, life usually gets in the way and about half the time I have to make modifications. This is totally okay so long as I keep track of the changes and make alterations for the rest of the day if required. 

BREAKFAST:

Started out the day with an oh so yummy little shake!  I made it in my amazing Magic Bullet!!  I love this thing.  I use it for a bunch of different salads: egg, tuna, chicken and it makes yummy milkshakes.  I have an itty bitty kitchen right now so I have to keep my appliances to a minimum and the MB is compact and useful for so many things!!!

100 g strawberries + 1/2 container 0% Fage yogurt + Jay Robb Chocolate Egg White Protein Powder + 1/2 cup Silk Vanilla Light Soy milk

The Fage Greek yogurt is all the rage right now.  I hate yogurt!  It tastes like sour milk, but I try sneak it into some of my foods sometimes because it has high protein and low calories.

I've also recently jumped on the protein supplement bandwagon hence the  Jay Robb Protein Powder.  I was finding it a very difficult to keep my calories down while still getting the protein I needed to repair my muscles due to the weight training.  I always talked smack about protein powders and bars.  I love food too much to waste my calories on liquid or some grainy bar.  However, I had to cave because the calorie to protein ratio of some of these products are sick!  I'm still experimenting with different types so I haven't settled on one yet....work in progress.  My goal is to find one with the highest protein and fiber content, with the least amount of calories and sugar.  Easy right??  I'll keep you updated.

LUNCH:

I was PLANNING on eating some slices of 98% fat free honey ham and a bunch of asparagus but I was running around doing errands so lunch consisted of a Peanut Butter Crunch Full Bar. OMG these things are soooo tasty and really do fill you up!!!  I've seen them at stores for a few months now, but like I just mentioned,  I am very apprehensive about getting my calories from bars.  However, busy life and hunger pains have made me expand my horizons a bit. 

The package says to eat one bar with a glass of water 30 minutes before you eat.  This will fill you up a bit therefore when you do finally eat you will eat less and be "completely satisfied."  I know it's not really intended as a meal replacer but it has 4 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein therefore that would totally be an acceptable lunch in my book.  Anyway, I decided if I ate it and was still hungry a little later I would have some fruit or a small salad.  So, I had the bar with a diet coke (loves me some fake sugar) and wouldn't you know it totally worked!  I ate it around 1:30 and didn't feel hungry at all until around 5.


DINNER:

No pictures of dinner because it's too awful to document...LOL.  But it was totally planned!!!  I watched 500 Days of Summer (cutest movie!!!) with my friend Erin for girls movie night which we have not done in FOREVER so I knew that I was going to gorge on snacks but I was okay with that.  I almost never do this so it's okay to be bad once in awhile!!!  We had Bird's Nests from Trader Joe's (sooo good), and Trader Joe's mini pizzas, some reduced fat cheddar cheese and goat cheese, and some pretzel flats.  I also might have had two or three glasses of red wine:) 

Trader Joe's is one of my favorite grocery stores.  They have so much fun food and they are VERY reasonably priced.  I will NOT however buy their produce unless I'm going to use it THAT day.  Every time I buy veggies or fruit from there it goes bad within 2 or 3 days :(  Whole Foods is also amazing of course but they are SO overpriced.  I'll go there for things that I can't get anywhere else but it's amazing how the same items in WF are $2-$3 cheaper at Ralph's.

Speaking of Ralph's...I picked up a few new items to try today!  Odwalla has a new STRAWBERRY Protein Monster!  So excited to try it.  It's only 160 calories a serving (which the chocolate and vanilla are around 200 I think), and has 13 grams of protein.  In my quest for have yogurt in my diet even though I hate it I found a 90 calorie Light Smoothie from Yoplait that I'm going to try for breakfast one day this week.  It's Strawberry-Banana (caught on to the strawberry theme there?  LOVE em!), with 3 grams of Fiber and 6 grams of Protein!  Fiber Crips from Quaker also caught my attention...review to follow as well later on this week.  I LOVE ALL THESE NEW PROTEIN AND FIBER PRODUCTS!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment