Monday, June 20, 2011

BLOW ON THOSE PIPES

Random Date Night!!!

I’ve lived in San Diego for a few years now, and I’ve definitely found my favorite eats around here!  I know where to get the best Mexican, Sushi, Fro-Yo, etc.  However, there are still TONS of restaurants I have yet to try.  Since Boyfriend and I don’t go out to eat much (I love to cook at home!), I have made a vow to ONLY to go NEW places.

First up, was Cucina Urbana.  This place has had such great buzz around San Diego, and is a constant darling to Yelpers!

l

It’s a trendy Italian place that has fancy pizzas and what-not.  We sat at the “pizza bar” because the place was booked solid for the night.  I expected to wait awhile for a table, but didn’t realize that no amount of waiting would get me one that night.  No matter, I actually liked sitting at the pizza bar because I got to sit right next to Boyfriend and give him sly kisses whenever I wanted to!

IMG_1073

 

IMG_1077

 

Boyfriend ordered a bottle of red.  I always let him pick the wine because he knows a lot about wine AND he knows what I like

LOVED the wine!!  I’m such a light weight!  After about 1/2 a glass I was definitely feeling a bit tipsy. 

We took home 1/2 the bottle to finish later on that night.

 

 

 

Boyfriend let me pick the appetizer.  Every time I go to a new restaurant I MUST get an appetizer.  It lets me taste more of the menu so I don’t get discouraged by a possible fluke bad entrée. 

I ordered the Sweet Breads, and they were divine!!  I’ve never had sweetbreads before, but chefs seem to universally rave about them so I had to give them a try. 

IMG_1079SEMOLINA CRUSTED SWEETBREADS: CAVOLO NERO + CAPER BERRY + HOUSE CURED BACON

I was going to order the veal, but Boyfriend jumped on that entrée so I ordered the chicken and I’m glad I did!!!  It was so good!!!!!!IMG_1080ROASTED “JIDORI” CHICKEN: FONTINA POLENTA + WHITE ASPARAGUS + SWISS CHARD + PISTACHIO PESTO + POACHED HEN EGG

Boyfriend wasn’t a big fan of the veal and neither was I.  It just wasn’t that tasty, and just turned out to be a big let down.

IMG_1082VEAL PICATTA: GRILLED SWEET CORN + OYSTER MUSHROOM CONSERVA + SPINACH + CAPER + SPECK

LOVE that they let us take home the leftover bottle of wine to be consumed at a later time…

IMG_1089

IMG_1093

 

 

I HAD to get a little something sweet to finish off my meal.  Boyfriend and I stopped at Starbucks and I FINALLY got the Birthday Cake pop that I have been DYING to try!

VERDICT:  It was AWESOME!!!  Such a nice little portion controlled treat!

 

 

 

 

After dinner, we walked over to BEAUTIFUL Balboa park in the heart of San Diego.

IMG_1096

Every Monday night this summer, they have a free concert series at the Organ Pavilion.  Tonight they had an organist, bag pipers, and a church choir.  It was so much fun, and the beautiful San Diego weather allows for great nights outside.

IMG_1102

IMG_1097

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the concert, Boyfriend and I heated up some tasty sugary treats that were purchased in the frozen food section of the grocery store.

IMG_1110KEY LIME PIE + HOT APPLE CRISP

Perfect Date Night once again!

XOXOBeth-signature

No comments:

Post a Comment